Wednesday, January 23, 2008

If I have a say...

...on the country's transport system, I would change the rules. Looking at how poorly SMRT handled a crisis and the congestion on the road right now, something has to be done to improve the efficiency. The govenment has been very eager to improve the fare stucture by introducing distance-based travelling and also very eager to allow taxi companies to hike their fares. We understand the effort, but more needs to be done, especially on private car ownership.

In my opinion, only the rich should own a car. Cars should be a status symbol, not a mode of transport given the scarce land space. Increase taxes on car ownership. Raise the COE price (read: lump sum tax) and return by offering cheaper fuel. Abolish that stupid "$0 driveaway". Only tow companies benefit from this scheme. There is no need to raise interest rates on financing so banks need not earn so much to buy into more subprime loans. Minimum 35% downpayment will definitely make you feel darn rich.

Owner's income level and category of cars must match. Only the super rich drive the BMWs. Rich can drive Sunnys. Slightly rich people should take more buses and use the travelling time to think of improving their wealth. Bar all the SUVs from entering the country. You do not need to elevate yourself to intimidate others. This way we do not need to import so much oil and go into a trade deficit. But the thought of a lower consumption that could result in recession sends shudders from head to every single of our toes.

And the speed limit. Why should the limit be 90 on expressways? Make it 120. Cautious drivers will still be cautious, drivers eager to get home fast should be allowed to. Speeding kills, so kill them should they hurt anyone in an accident.

We badly need an efficient transport system so that people are willing to do a switch to public transport. Those who know me will know that I seldom use the word "sucks". But it really is. Recently there were news on extending the bus lane. That sounds promising. Just look at the population figure now. Everywhere I go I hear people speaking in a foreign language. More buses need to be purchased.

If you still have not noticed, I am an elitist. I will be in the BMW class. And driving at 120.

No comments: