Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Book Review

Use Your Head
Tony Buzan






This is a classic book published in 1974. Mr Tony Buzan, inventor of Mind Maps, tells you why Mind Maps is the correct technique to adopt, not only for studying, but also in many aspects of life where information, creativity, memory is needed. This is also the one and only book that contains the same technique to my academic success.

As explained in the book, note taking should never be in linear form, cos it doesn't link the points together in a way that enables easy recall (normal people will memorise). Putting the core idea in the centre and spreading out shows the importance of points. Every point should be in keywords, and hand drawn pictures can be added to act as anchors (the more ridiculous it is, the easier to remember). Colours can be added to separate different points. It is that simple.

I heard about "Mind Map" since young but was never taught the right way of doing it. So please, all NIE teachers learn the proper way of doing it and don't teach your students the wrong thing!! I am seriously doubting the NIE syllabus where our students today are being exposed to more and more difficult text but are not taught the proper way of handling increasing materials.

In the introduction of the book, Mr Buzan published the Edward Hughes story - Of a mediocre student transformed into the top 'A' level student and moving on to great things in life with the introduction of Mind Map into his life. No doubt, I am abit late, but I dare say I am also one of the "Edward Hughes" story. However I do believe that learning is only complete when we pass on the knowledge.

It is still a classic today. It never runs out of date.

No comments: