Thursday, March 12, 2009

Teachings from Buddha

Extracted this part from the audio on my iPod that follows me wherever I go. This is by Anthony Robbins in his Personal Power II program - Day 19 - Overcoming Fears of Failure and Success.

Buddha was well known for his ability to respond to evil with good, and there was a man who knew about this reputation and had travelled for miles to test Buddha. And what he did was when he got into Buddha's presence, he verbally abused him, challenged him, insulted him. He did everything he could to try and offend Buddha.

Buddha was unmoved. He simply turned to the man and said, "May I ask you a question?"

The man responded, "What?"

Buddha said, "If someone offers you a gift and you decline to accept it, to whom then does it belong?"

The man said, "Well then it belongs to the person who offered it."

Buddha smiled. "That is correct. So if I decline to accept your abuse, does it not then still belong to you?"

The man is speechless.

No comments: