Saturday, April 04, 2009

How to be Exam Smart - Part 10

Techniques to mind map

Today's tip is on efficient studying, using a method called mind maps. This method is made famous by Tony Buzan and there are many books by him on this subject matter. I use it and I find it very useful, especially for subjects that are heavily loaded with theories.

The basic idea of mind maps is to capture keywords and linking it effectively from one branch to the other. Many people like to link a word to a big paragraph of explanation which doesn't serve them the purpose of mind mapping, instead they had to memorise everything which doesn't make any sense to me.

A simple search over the internet would have yielded many samples of mind maps that are colourful and with pictures. Pictures that you draw act as "anchors" to better remember a keyword. The weirder it is, the more likely it will stay in your brain. Colours are good for clumping related topics. Personally I think adding colours waste quite abit of time so I do not practise it.

For me, a session of mind mapping will take quite some time but it is worth it. First, I will read my notes and textbook for understanding, then I will go back to the first page and start drafting. By the time the draft is completed, I would have read the main text two times. Usually I will stop there and go on to other subjects, coming back to it few days later to finish up the mind map. This acts as revision. Once its done, everything is already inside my mind.

Some samples of my work. Every mind map is unique to yourself.


The draft


A poorly done mindmap


Top down approach



Best piece of work so far


Feel free to take it if you want, it won't help you in any way anyway. Do share with me your work. Leave a comment and we will keep in contact. Have fun studying.

No comments: