Saturday, July 19, 2008

1 Week

Some time ago, I had comments from friends saying that Jacky is a name that they would call their dog. Now I agree with them.

One week has passed on my new job and I'm really happy that I'm working at Raffles Place again and my first job in a bank bank. However my job scope sucked pretty much. In the particular department that I am working in, the proportion of females to males is near 3, which can be pretty good if they are pretty. I admit it's good, but it also mean I have to listen to their instructions cos I am every single of their runner.

Let me go deeper into my job scope. To sum it up, I am simply the runner and the filing boy of that department. Just because the big boss is in my dept, they need someone to deliver documents fast. And my office is basically in the filing room. I file with speed and accuracy, scanning barcodes from files like a NTUC cashier. My hands are quite chui now with papercuts and swollen fingertips.

My tailbone hurts like shit now. Due to carrying cartons filled full of reports that are due to be sent to the warehouse. 50 of them each weighing at least 15kg stacked 10 X 5. My first task on Wed was to check whether the contents was correct. So I had to carry it to the floor, open them up and check 1 by 1. It was painful and uncomfortable wearing shirt and pants doing dirty jobs. But I told myself it was ok cos I am paid to do that. Then on Thurs my boss told me I need to stick the stickers on the cartons. knn nv say earlier. Some of the cartons that needs to be sticked on are facing the wall so I had to turn them around. Thanks leh. So I repeated the same routine again. The feeling was like doing gym in formal clothes, the worst thing without warmup. Completed the task like a man.

And on Fri , she just told me I need to seal up every carton. Excellent. I love her so much man.

Food is getting so expensive lately and that is especially true in Raffles. I haven't had a lunch that is less than $3 for food. Drinks are worse. I have decided not to buy drinks anymore during lunch. Plain water is best. I nearly wanted to refund my drink the other day on knowing that it was $1.80 for a small cup. Ah Mei milk tea also cost $1.80 now. wtf. Ah poh @ GS is still the best. One big cup for $1.10.

And not to forget my daily dose of coffee. The Coffee and Toast below my office opposite lau pa sat is really efficient. Place your order and before you dig out your coins, it's ready for collection. Unfortunately, it is suck. I cannot tolerate bad coffee, and near empty coffee. Serious coffee addicts will know what I mean. And I don't mean glamourous starbucks addicts who claims expensive coffee is good coffee. Nonsense.

Speaking of which, I have serious thoughts of kicking my addiction. It's really bad to rely on caffine to start the day. Then again I couldn't resist the aroma of good coffee, especially the one just above Raffles station. I abhor addicts, cos it means that your life is controlled by other things. And without it, you will die. I am addicted to coffee. And you.

No comments: