Thursday, September 24, 2009

Insurance and Me

Almost reaching my career anniversary and just completed a hospitalisation claim for my client. Talking about making a difference in this line, I am glad that I did the right thing and made sure that I make solid recommendations on the insurance plans that suit the needs of my clients.

I even dare to introduce myself as a healthcare financing specialist to people who don't know me. As of today, I have done claims for 4 of my clients, of which a hospitalisation claim amount of $8503.07 for a 5-day stay at Gleneagles hospital and $410 of TCM claims on an elderly policies. Mind you, it's $410 of medical treatment at a chinese bonesetter (chinese sinseh), when you thought a sprain can be easily treated with ONE visit to the sinseh. That is obviously not the case for people coming with age.

As for the hospital claim, I remembered I was around when the incident happened. My client got an excruciating back pain which she endured through the night and had to go to the A&E for treatment. She asked if she should go to Changi hospital, but I told her to go to Mount Elizabeth or Gleneagles straight, since she got the best hospitalisation plan and I was sure that she could claim the full amount if needed. Personally, after entering this line, I believe that everyone is entitled to the best medical care, not just the rich. I rather pay a known amount of insurance premium every year, to prepare myself for an unknown amount of bill size that might come my way one day.

I am very sure many many agents out there, including those who has been in this line for many years, have not done a claim before. And that kind of agents I am talking about are those who only sell savings and investment plans. Although it is also part of my job, I feel that "insurance" should be really about protection from financial loss first, then accumulation of wealth.

Wealth accumulation can come after protection and medical funding needs are fulfilled. On medical funding alone, everyone needs an integrated-shield plan, accident plan, critical illness (traditional or early payout), income replacement plan. So stop saying that you are fully covered when you only have one insurance plan. Different plans have different purposes, which is why people say insurance cheat money when they can't make a claim. That is because they didn't cover themselves adequately! So start looking into your plans and call up your consultants.

(The opinions expressed at mine, so leave me a comment if you do not agree and we can sort it out.)

No comments: